A small upgrade for the Minitrix Köf II, one of the smallest N scale engines.
Minitrix had released several digital versions of the cute little Köf II shunting locomotive. There were also DC versions as well.
I have 2 models, old and new Deutsche Bahn livery:
Minitrix 12544 & 12288 Köf II
Minitrix managed to build a very small engine, and even included front and rear headlights. As expected at this size and weight, this locomotive can easily get stuck without power.
But it turned out the (Doehler & Hass built) factory decoder wasn’t really top notch. The engine wasn’t really behaving well, even on clean straight tracks, and I wasn’t the only one complaining.
The same company who built the original decoder for Minitrix, Doehler & Haass, has since then released a new decoder. The DH06A has been specifically designed for the Minitrix Köf II, its shape, and its 6V micro-motor. It even includes 2 LEDs to light up the driver cabin as a bonus.
The DH06A can be bought where other Doehler & Haass decoders are available. But the brand also offers an exchange program. If you send them back the original decoder: the DH06A will cost you 18€. The exchange program page is here (in German, use google translate if needed). The topic has been discussed a lot on german forums. Yes, it seems unfair for a company to basically cash twice (once from Minitrix, and then a second time from the user buying the DH06A decoder). On the other hand, Minitrix (Märklin) may have given D&H very little money or a poor requirements list originally.
Doehler & Haass DH06A decoder
Doehler & Haass DH06A decoder (side view)
In any case, the DH06A has been praised as a big improvement on the original decoder. The Minitrix Köf II uses a small 6V motor, so other decoders cannot be used (at least not without additional DIYing).
Changing the decoder requires precise soldering and isn’t really for beginners. I personally added additional capacitors (4x100uF) to even further improve the engine’s driving characteristics. Those have to be soldered directly on the components (cables visible in picture below). They can be placed in the driver cabin, where there is a little room for SMD components.
DH06A decoder soldered
DH06A decoder tests
DH06A in place with extra wires for buffer capacitors
Both Köf II engines with the DH06A decoder now behaves way better than before. Don’t expect miracles though: it is still a very small and light locomotive with 4 wheels. It may still get stuck occasionally, but way less than with the factory decoder. This was all tested even before I added the 400uF buffer. So if you know how to solder and have one of those little engines, a decoder update may be in order.
Special thanks to Christian from http://www.modellbahn-diepholz.de who motivated this modification and explained how to connect the capacitors. He also has a much nicer Youtube video than mine, that you can see here.
Merci pour le feedback! En effet garder les boites ou pas a toujours é ...
Bonjour Je suis N'iste et de ce côté là on a plus de facilité pour ran ...
Thank you! I have checked the information regarding the converter - no ...
Hi! Well the Ecoes does support Railcom indirectly through its lan: it ...
Could you please be so kind to advise, does ECoS itself support Railco ...
New blog layout in place
Fleischmann V100: full DCC overhaul with DH05C decoder
Using all SUSI outputs of N-scale DCC decoders
Fleischmann ups and downs
Hobbytrain Siemens Vectron with sound
Never miss a model railroading update, subscribe to the LocGeek newsletter.
1 email per month top, unsubscribe anytime!
Cookies are used to give you the best experience on the site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.
By continuing to use our website without changing the settings on the disclaimer page, you are accepting cookies as described on the same page.