Now with trains!
Quick update (with a video) of my fiddle yard: I’m happy it turned out great!
I have been working on the fiddle yard for a while now, and I have finally been able to run trains. I am very satisfied with the result.
I have had to make some arrangements (so that I can split the modules in 2, as explained here). So here is the final track plan:
Fiddle Yard plan (final)
The Kato points are excellent, I have had 0 derailments despite many tests. This may sound obvious, but I have a history of poor track arrangements! This is also an occasion to finally put TrainController Gold v8.0 to use. My trains are handled automatically (or 1/2 automatically) by the software. For now for example, I can ask those things to the computer:
Of course, I still need to finish the upper level. That means reusing my upper level station (divided in 3parts), and put it on top of this hidden station. As you can see, module 1/3 is already there. There are hinges so I can lift it easily, in case a train derails or stays blocked in the fiddle yard. I will use the same principle for the other 2 upper level pieces.
Here are a few pictures, and of course a video of my first tests:
Fiddle yard 1/2 done. The upper level is visible and lifted at the back.
Fiddle yard nearly done
Pierre, Your new fiddle yard looks good. Since you are using Kato Unitrack, how do you handle the tracks if you need to detach each of the 6 modules? I would have the same issue on my segment layout where I have in total 8 modules.
Hi Jimmy, I kind of avoid the problem. First, the station is only spread out on 2 modules (160 & 80 cm in length). Separating the turnouts areas would have been nearly impossible. For the only separation, I simply don’t use anything. My modules are kept 100% aligned with wood pins. Also, just to be sure, on both sides, I have used a Fleischmann “re-railing” track 22210.
Have a look at the picture above, “Fiddle yard nearly done”. The separation is just in front of the wooden piece holding the upper level (look for the yellow/black cutter knife).
Hi Pierre, Thanks for the explanations. I did not consider rerailers in my hidden tracks. Good that you reminded me to add them. And also the use of wood pins (dowels) for alignments. My current design relies on the screws on leg supports to hold 2 end profiles and the legs together. I need to have pins at other spots to ensure tight alignment all the time.
Thks for the tips again.
Dowel, that’s the word I was looking for 😉 Exactly, my first modules were only linked by screws, but that wasn’t enough for perfect alignment. Dowels for alignements, and screws to holds the segment together, that works perfectly now. As for the re-railment tracks, put as much as possible! I have put more than 20 of them, after turnouts, after segment changes… This is a tip I got from a friend, and it already has proven valuable.
Content que le problème ait été résolu...par contre effectivement, les ...
Bonjour Pierre, j'ai essayé CV137 à 2. Aucun changement. En désespoir ...
Bonjour David, c'est souvent difficile de déterminer la source d'un pr ...
Bonjour Pierre, je vous recontacte pour un problème qui pour l'instant ...
Well I was mentioning regular (programming track) programming, since P ...
Layout planning: Railmodeller Pro for Mac reviewed
Minitrix DB Lint: adding light
New blog layout in place
DIY: Loconet without a command station
Arnold N Lufthansa Airport Express (added sound)
Never miss a model railroading update, subscribe to the LocGeek newsletter.
1 email per month top, unsubscribe anytime!
Cookies are used to give you the best experience on the site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.
By continuing to use our website without changing the settings on the disclaimer page, you are accepting cookies as described on the same page.